Specific Research Specialties:
- Protein misfolding diseases, including neurodegenerative diseases.
- ER stress.
- Mechanisms of endoplasmic reticulum (ER) protein folding and quality control.
- Sugar chain trimming processes as cellular signals for glycoprotein folding status.
- Delivery of misfolded proteins to ER-associated degradation (ERAD).
- Subcellular compartmentalization of ER quality control and ERAD.
- Biochemical and imaging studies in mammalian cells.
- Cytotoxicity and apoptosis assays.
- Subcellular fractionation, density gradients.
- Protein analysis: Western blot, immunoprecipitation, folding and glycosylation analysis. Protein interactions, coimmunoprecipitation.
- Radioactive pulse chase analysis.
- DNA cloning and engineering of constructs, mutants, fluorescent fusion proteins.
- RNA analysis, qPCR.
- Gene expression by cell transfection and infection, retrovirus and lentivirus vectors. Stable cell line selection.
- SiRNA and shRNA knockdown. Caspr/Cas9.
- Subcellular localization and dynamics. Immunofluorescence, confocal and live cell imaging. FRET, FRAP, FLIP.